@lolokav and I are spending national smores day digging into this ice cream topped pizookie. #nationalsmoresday #smores #pizookie #cookies #baking #instabake #foodporn #dessert #dessertporn #icecream #vanillaicecream #smorescookies #castiron #castironbaking #brownbutter #grahamcrackers #marshmallow #icecreamontop
In honor of National S’mores Day, and with the encouragement of my awesome friend Lori, this happened.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of graham cracker flour*
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg**
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey bars to garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Allow the butter to start to brown.
- Once the butter starts browning, lower the heat to medium-low and whisk in the suagrs until smooth.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and let the contents cool.
- While the skillet cools, beat the egg and add in the vanilla extract.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract mixture.
- Add in the flours, salt and baking soda until mixed. Fold in in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.****
- Bake 15-20 minutes until the cookie is golden brown and still a tiny bit gooey.
- Remove from the oven and add all the garnishes.
- Place the skillet back into the oven and cook another 5ish minutes until the marshmallows puff up and get soft. Maybe torch them if your kitchen is stocked like a boss.
- Remove the pizookie and cool for 10 minutes.
- Drop a few scoops of vanilla ice cream on top and enjoy!
* Graham cracker flour is just finely ground up graham crackers, duh. I suppose you can take some graham crackers (about 6-8 sheets), put them in a plastic bag and roll them until they form crumbs. I find this never works as advertised. My preferred method is to put them in my stand mixer and blend them for a few minutes. You can also just buy graham cracker crumbs in the grocery store. They’re usually near the graham cracker pie crusts.
** I actually didn’t have any eggs, so I used 3T of mayo! I was really worried about this substitution, but it worked out well!
*** If you ran out of eggs and are using mayo, whisk in the mayo until it disappears. This will take 1-2 minutes. I did this while the skillet was still hot.
**** Don’t ask how I know this, but if you DON’T fold it in and just mix it in, all the chocolate chips will immediately melt and not be as pretty, though still pretty tasty.