I finally made a soup that I can call cozy! This soup is pretty thick, which I like. And the broth almost feels like a nice, rich sauce. It’s not the best for when you’re sitting at home sick, but throw it in a mason jar, take it to work, microwave, plate and you have a sophisticated, elevated lunch.
- 5 links sweet, Italian chicken sausage
- 1 Tbsp EVOO200 grams (about 1/2 large) onion, diced
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp All-Purpose Seasoning*
- 2 Tbsp All-Purpose flour
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp Neufchatel cheese
- 200 grams (about 2.5 cups) of kale
- 10 oz chicken tortellini**
- In your dutch oven***, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, slice open your sweet, sweet, Italian chicken sausage casing and put the goods in the pan. Crumble and cook.
- Add in the onion, garlic, and seasoning. Cook until the onion softens and begins to turn translucent.Stir in the flour until it’s lightly browned. Then add the tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir until the tomato sauce and broth have come together as one.
- Crank up the heat until the soup starts to boil. Add the kale, cover about 5 minutes until the kale starts to wilt and turn a vibrant shade of green.
- Break up your cream cheese and stir in until it has fully dissolved into the soup. Add pasta, cook for 5 minutes.
*Use your favorite. I used sazon, but a garlic and herb seasoning or original Mrs Dash would work too. Basically whatever you have on hand will work.
** I used fresh pasta. If you use frozen and the instructions on your tortellini say it needs to cook for closer to 10 minutes instead of 5, add them before you add the kale, cook for 5 min, and then drop in the kale.
*** See! I told you it was cozy. We are using brightly painted, enameled dutch ovens to cook this shit.